Leaky Faucet

So I have a leaking faucet.  This faucet so happens to be my tub faucet and last night I decided to measure how much water was actually leaking.  I put a 4 cup measuring tool under the faucet and closed the stopper.  Just as a reference, the faucet is dripping just faster than once a second.  In the morning I checked the measuring cup and this is what I found!

Not only was the measuring cup full, there was quite a bit of water held in the tub.  All in all there was 22 cups of water in an 8 hour period.

Some quick mathematics

1.375 gal in 8 hours

4.125 gal in 1 day

28.875 gal in 1 week

121.68 gal in 1 month

1505.625 gal in 1 year

Although it would take 4 months to fill a jacuzi, 9 years to fill an average size pool, and 440 years to fill an Olympic size pool, maybe consider the fact that I have three leaking faucets.  Better yet,  multiply that across any given neighborhood, city, state, nation.

More quick mathematics for those locations. Quantities  for one year from one leaking faucet per household!

9.5 Million Gal (37210 my neighborhood)

357 Million Gal (2000 census for Nashville)

3.5 Billion Gal (2005 Community Report TN)

165.5 Billion Gal (Projected Household USA Census)

My neighborhood could fill an Olympic pool in less than a month, Nashville in less than 16 hours, Tennessee in about an hour and a half, and  the USA in 12 seconds.

All from one leaky faucet per household.

You have a few options for faucet repair :

1. Call a plumber

2. Find out which brand faucet you have and order or pick up the proper rubber seal or rings that are inside your faucet and replace them yourself.

3. Replace the faucet.

4. Buy lunch for a friend that can fix the faucet.

5.  Keep filling Olympic size pools.

I hope you select fixing, perhaps I will go more into depth sometime on fixing the faucet, but for now those that now, should do.  Like me of course.  Those that don’t know, ask someone else.

Comments

comments

, , , ,

7 Responses to Leaky Faucet

1. Gail Hyatt February 11, 2009 at 2:03 PM #

Wow, Chris. Fascinating! You are amazing. I’m going to make sure to check your blog everyday. I think I might become a genius by reading your posts! Let us know when you fix your faucet.

• admin February 11, 2009 at 2:14 PM #

Thanks Gail, I am looking forward to reading yours as well.

2. Ellen Weber February 15, 2009 at 4:28 PM #

Chris, thanks for this delightful and innovative look at the human brain in action to resolve problems through measuring, testing, and rebooting for improved approaches. Makes me think of the wonderful inventors that set the stage for such brilliant alternatives in this nation. They operated in much the same way, as you thoughtfully detailed here.

Just started to read Lincoln’s biography by David Herbert Donald, and am already astounded how this great leader guided his own brain to similar directions for stepping past inequity problems with dynamic new directions.

Your post makes me curious though, Chris. How can we move beyond the flawed notion that teachers we can “know it all,” into liberated notions that helps us to put your final advice into collaborative action? If we do work together – as you suggest – our joint results too can be measured and found abundant. Can you just imagine the finer America when human brains with many mixes of intellectual strengths – come together to fortify fresh solutions. Thoughts?

3. chriscrimmins February 15, 2009 at 5:12 PM #

I may be stepping out of line here Ellen, but I believe most individuals are rewarded on how much they know compared to the individual next to them. In fact the competitive market and society we live in lends itself to keeping marketable strengths and knowledge under lock and key. I believe the liberated notion is that knowledge is only lent to us for a limited time and is in misuse if not shared. This knowledge left unshared will either be covered in the cobwebs of our mind or buried beneath our feet.
    Ever learning, ever sharing is my vision for a finer America. It is what attracted me to your blog to begin with. You sharing your knowledge has helped rewire my brain. I like you am optimistic in the future of humankind and want to be a part of the change.
    Thanks for your words, I am definitely humbled. I would love to keep this conversation going in order to help reinvent a new world for all of us.

4. Marissa Hyatt February 17, 2009 at 5:43 PM #

Chris, I love love LOVE your approach to this. When I first saw that your blog was mostly about construction I thought, ehhhh…no thanks. But I continued to read and was fascinated. I love it! Keep on writing. VERY interesting! I love you and miss you!

5. Deanna Lipscomb March 12, 2009 at 10:05 AM #

Hi Chris,
    I love reading your blog! I have a comment for you… “Lime-Away!” It is awesome! Everyone should keep a bottle of it in each bathroom and use it monthly!
    :o)

6. chriscrimmins March 12, 2009 at 1:43 PM #

Thanks for that tip and thanks for the compliment. Look forward to seeing your future comments.